What is Right Use of Power™?
Right Use of Power™ is a dynamic way to explore issues of ethics and power, both personal and professional. This study can be profoundly restorative and empowering. This approach brings heart and soul to ethics, and builds sensitivity and awareness to the use of power and influence.
The power spiral model is at the heart of Right Use of Power™. Increasing skillfulness is learned through a spiraling process of gaining understanding and awareness at higher and higher levels of complexity, inclusivity, and transcendence. As you gain the knowledge and skills you need to use your power wisely, you’ll explore and engage with these four dimensions of the spiral:
GUIDED USE OF POWER
Be Informed & Present
- Own your power and influence.
- Understand your values and ethical guidelines.
- Know the dynamics of up- & down-power roles.
FOCUS ON INFORMATION
- Reframing power as a good thing: the ability, to have an effect, and to have influence
- Differentiating role power and personal power
- Understanding the dynamics of up-power and down-power and using both positions to the highest and best
- Owning added responsibilities when in up-power roles using the 150% principle
- Gaining insights about your personal power and its impact on others
CONSCIOUS USE OF POWER
Be Compassionate & Aware
- Engage your curiosity and history well.
- Attend to self-care
- Infuse your power with heart.
FOCUS ON SELF
- Discovering limiting beliefs resulting from your personal history with issues of authority and power
- Reframing and using feedback as an investment in relationship
- Working with disempowerment in Self and others
- Linking power as strength with power as heart, soul and wisdom
- Attending to multiple levels of self-care, self-awareness, and self-correcting
RESPONSIBLE USE OF POWER
Be Connected & Accountable
- Track your impact and ask for feedback.
- Stay in right relationship and use the 150% principle.
- Resolve and repair.
FOCUS ON RELATIONSHIP
- Shifting conflict from trauma to opportunity
Practicing resolving difficulties and repairing relationships
- Learning strategies for working with bosses who misuse power
- Understanding and de-activating shame so that it doesn’t impair relationships
- Responding non-defensively when impact and intention don’t match
WISE USE OF POWER
Be Skillful & Proactive
- Think pro-actively.
- Stay present and in The Power Zone.
- Use your up and down-power leadership wisely and well.
FOCUS ON WISDOM
- Responding constructively and pro-actively to power challenges
- Applying the socially intelligent model of power
- Knowing and using the four aspects of the power spiral
- Increasing effectiveness by expanding one’s range of comfort with the power parameters
- Exploring four leadership power styles
Below is a video from our social action partner, “BePop” Be Power Positive. Watch the video then take the quiz to find out how you use your power.
(Please note: When you click on the button above, you will be taken to the Be Power Positive site.)